Monday, June 15, 2009

Cary Grant's Best Movie

I'm a huge Cary Grant fan. The other night PBS showed what I think is his best movie. It's a little known gem called "People Will Talk." A silly title.

Cary plays a smart, handsome (duh,) god-like gynecologist. What's not to love?

This movie, made in 1951, has Cary saving the life of his student, played by Jeanne Crane, who tries to kill herself because she's pregnant. He ends up marrying her. But the movie is about much more: the death penalty, the practice of medicine, and ethics for example.

It's also funny.

And there's a very mysterious man named Mr. Shunderson. It's worth the wait to hear his secret at the end.

Cary's name in the movie is Noah Praetorius. It was adapted from a German play called "Dr. Praetorius." A much better title.

I saw the movie the other night for the fourth time and loved every minute. My boyfriend saw it for the first time. He loved it. Trust me, you'll love it too.


***