Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Pledge

When Dave got up this morning he said to me, right out of the blue:

I promise never to knock you unconscious in an elevator.  


I said thanks and made the same pledge to him.  My guess is that other couples have done the same.  That's a good thing, whether they were teasing like us or not.

Of course, this relates to the revelation that Ray Rice, formally of the Baltimore Ravens, did exactly that to his fiancee.  There's a big brouhaha going on now but who knows what will come of it.

To me, it's just another casualty in the NFL's need to create monsters for our entertainment.  And don't get me started on what happens to these guys as they move along in life.

When I first heard the news about the Rice incident, all I heard was "concussion" so I assumed that another football player had been damaged for life on the field.  Concussions lead to a life of pain, capped by dementia.

Let's hope the Rice elevator tragedy is more than just one more minor casualty in the creation of football "Legends."


***