Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Passion Vs. Apathy

I used to feel - and act on - a great many passions in my life.  I still have these passions but I don't act on them nearly as much. Passions like women's rights, civil rights, an end to hunger and racism, and on and on. 

Now my life is balanced more toward thoughtful interaction, encouraging others and prayer.  I'm grateful for this more quiet life but there's always the temptation to fall forward into apathy. 

In reading my Jan Richardson mediation this morning I was reminded of the ancient word "Acedia."  It was generally defined as laziness or sloth (It's one of the Seven Deadly Sins) but Jan explains that "The Greek root refers to a lack of concern, a state of care-lessness that threatens to overpower the person whom it visits." 

Sometimes we can't help it.  It's called "burn out."

I'm grateful for this season in my life.  But I don't want to become a victim of acedia (or apathy.)  I hope God will continually show me how to relate appropriately  to suffering people in the world. 


***